There are so many things you can do with a whole chicken, stuff it, roast it, fry it, etc. That’s why whenever there’s a sale on whole chickens I stock up! How easy is it to rub some spices and throw it in the oven for a meal? Instead of baking my usual rubbed chicken I came across this recipe on Pinterest. Having never tried lemon with some heat I thought I’d give it a shot, besides the picture looks like a piece of art. Of course my roasted chicken wasn’t as pinnable but after trying this pin, the glaze(highlighted) is well worth making and you could add it to anything.
What you’ll need:
- whole roasting chicken
- 4 – 6 small lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- Remove giblets from chicken, if present. Place chicken in Ziploc bag, adding 2 sliced lemons. Finely shred 2 teaspoons of lemon peel; set aside. Squeeze lemons to yield 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons juice for glaze.
- For marinade combine in a bowl 1/2 cup lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Pour marinade over chicken; turn to coat. Seal bag and refrigerate overnight or during the day.
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF. Let chicken stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Drain chicken and set aside lemon slices; discarding the marinade. Tie drumsticks to tail. Twist wing tips under back.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover with the lemon slices, and roast on lowest rack, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine honey, the shredded lemon peel, the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut string between drumsticks and reposition any lemon slices that may have fallen off the chicken. Continue roasting 30 to 60 minutes more, or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180ºF), occasionally brushing with some of the honey mixture during the last 20 minutes of roasting. If lemons begin to darken, tent loosely with foil(I tented with foil but they still burned!). Remove the chicken from the oven after roasted completely and glaze with the remaining sauce.
Per serving: Calories 469, Total Fat 30 g, Cholesterol 116 mg, Sodium 257 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 29 g,